I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Conquered my fear of Croissants but didn't master them

On Monday I bought some croissants and thought I would put Nutella in them and I absolutely fell in love with it.  So I got it in my head that I could make crossaints.  When I searched for recipes all of the them warned me with words like: complicated, patience needed, methodical approach, messed up again etc....  But alas I threw caution to the wind and dove in. Heck, I just got over my fear of making foccocia bread and that is big and bulky so surely I could handle this little dainty thing called a croissant. 
A friend let me use her family recipe and it was by far the easiest one.  I looked up a video for Croissant making (I am a visual learner) b/c I didn't understand all the terminololgy of "laminating dough with the butter."  The video made it look super easy so now I had my kitchen mittens on and I was ready to fight :).  The process was long, and time consuming even with this easy one day recipe.  I saw some that were a 2 day process, not my kind of recipe! I don't make any meal that takes more than 30 minutes to prepare so I was definitely not going to make bread that took 2 days.
Results:  My dough was not light and fluffy but it was flaky and good.  My friend with the recipe said that when she has had croissants in France they weren't light and fluffy.  So I think I did okay for the first time but I will try it again and hope for a better product.

No comments:

Post a Comment