I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Thursday, March 31, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Cinnamon Rolls

Celebrating Spring with this zesty yumminess!  I couldn't find a blueberry lemon cinnamon roll recipe so I decided to create my own.  I told my husband prior to taking this on that I was committing Cooking Suicide by doing this. I have only made cinnamon rolls two times in the past 6 months so I didn't feel qualified to take on this project but of course my mind was telling me "do it, what do you have to lose" and so I did it.

rolled out dough sprinkled with butter, sugar, cinnamon, lemon zest and blueberries

My hands were covered in sticky sugary mess so I couldn't get a picture of the rolled up dough ready to be cut.  I learned this cool trick: use thread to cut your cinnamon rolls. It works!I thought they were AHHHmazing

Icing them before wrapping and sending them with my son  "Spring is here, school is almost over" gifts for his teacher and long overdue thank you to some friends.
I must say they were finger lickin good!!!


2 tbspn dry yeast
1/2 cp warm water
3 eggs
1 tspn salt
1 cp warm milk
1/2 cp sugar
1/2 c brown sugar
1cp shortening
1tspn lemon extract
1/3 cp of instant vanilla pudding mix
1/3 cp of instant lemon pudding mix
7-8 cps of flour
filling:
1/2 cp of butter
2/3cps brown sugar
2tsp cinnamon
lemon zest
3/4 cps of blueberries
2 tspn of lemon juice

In a large mixing bowl dissolve yeast and water, let it sit for 10min or until bubbly. Add eggs, salt, milk, sugar, shortening, both puddings, lemon extract and 4cps of flour.  Slowly add the rest of the flour.  The dough will be sticky.
Put on a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.

Punch dough down; divide in half. Roll each portion into a 12-in. x 8-in. rectangle; brush with butter. Combine brown sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Place blueberries in lemon juice in a seperate bowl. Then add lemon zest to all of the dough and place blueberries on top.

Lemon Glaze
2cps of powdered sugar
2tsp  lemon juice
1 tsp lemon zest
1/4 cp milk

Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seams to seal. Cut each into 12 slices.
Place cut side down in two greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
Bake at 350° for 22-28 minutes or until golden brown. In a small bowl, combine glaze ingredients. Spread over buns. Serve warm. Yield: 2 dozen.

9 comments:

  1. Blueberry and lemon go together so nicely...though I would have NEVER thought to make a cinnamon roll out of it! Great idea!! If you get a sec, pop on over to Foodie Fridayand link up! Oh, and I found you on

    ReplyDelete
  2. What Allie's Making...sorry the last line of my last post was cut off! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. thx, will do! i just posted the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations are in order! I just wanted to drop you a line to let you know that this recipe will be featured at Little Brick Ranch tomorrow for Foodie Friday!! Don't forget to stop by and pick up your button! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look delicious! My kids love cinnamon rolls, but cant have blueberries (allergic). Hoping we can make them look as pretty with raisins! Excited to try this recipe, and stopping by from Foodie Friday :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thx Jessica! Yes, definitely try it with just raisins, the important thing is not to lose the lemoney yumminess:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've never thought about putting blueberries on cinnamon rolls. Look D-lish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH MY WORD that looks awesome! My mouth is just watering! Thanks for posting, I think I know what I'm making for my little birthday girl's birthday breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  9. sounds like a great combination, will have to give this a try
    Helen

    ReplyDelete