I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Thursday, April 11, 2013

Cinco De Mayo Toddler Activity: Mexican Flag



This Cinco de Mayo Toddler Activity was perfect for my little guy. I am really enjoying toilet paper printing for little ones. The tp roll is the perfect size for their little hands.  Not only will they get some history from the Mexican flag activity but they will also get to practice their colors.

Flags hold so much culture and symbolism and usually we know very little about why. Do you know why your birth country chose it's colors? It's emblem?

The symbolism and legend of the Mexican flag colors and emblem:

The colors are symbolic of-
Green- the independent movement,
White- the purity of the Catholic faith
Red- The blood of the national heroes.

The legend of the emblem:
       "According to a beautiful legend, the gods had advised the Aztecs that the place where they should establish their city was to be identified when they saw an eagle, perched on a prickly pear tree, devouring a serpent. They saw this mythical eagle on a marshy lake that is now the z√≥calo or main plaza in Mexico City. This flag was created in 1821, when the Independence movement had ended victoriously."
via Inside-Mexico.com



You can print out the actual flag over at Hellokids or you can use a blank piece of white paper as we did and divided it in thirds and then added the eagle in the middle.

You will need:
  • red and green paint
  • Mexican flag coloring sheet
  • toilet paper roll tube
1. I had to fold the flag in thirds so that my son wouldn't paint all over the flag.


2. Once it dried we added the eagle.

No comments:

Post a Comment