Every year my advent calendars get better! I started off with a shoe organizer calendar and last year I sewed felt pockets and stringed them to ribbon. This is one of the many from the collection Simple or Fancy DIY Xmas Advent Calendars. Inside each pocket is a card w/ an activity and candy. We use it in conjuction with What God Wants for Christmas which comes with 7 gift boxes that we place inside each pocket of our advent calendar. An example of the Activity card:
Day: 21 Sharing the Good News
Ornament: Mini Megaphone
Activity: as a family shout the good news
or more involved
Day: 19 Jesus is God's Gift to Us
Ornament: Gift box
Verse: Mt 1:21-23
Sing: Away in the Manger
Activity: Find something in your house that you want to "give" to another family member and stick it in a gift bag. It can be silly or for real either way at the end of the game it all goes back. (last year I got a pacifier)
Open Box #4 from What God Wants for Christmas (You can find this at your local Christian Bookstore)
If you would like a copy of the Advent Activity Cards below in the comments write your email or email me at email@example.com.
This is my inspiration from Pottery Barn.
Xmas scrapbook paper
1. Using chalk draft your tree onto green felt then cut it out. I made lots of mistakes while drawing so I was glad for the chalk.
2. Cut the tree, trunk and star out.
3. Make 24 or 25 red pockets all the same size. We celebrate Xmas on the 24th a Latin American tradition.
4. First lay pockets where you want them to ensure they will all fit and then glue them.
5. Glue ribbon to each pocket. You can use a variety of patterns or just one as I did.
6. Then glue stickers on to ensure that they will stay.
7. Make circles from Xmas paper and number them.
I used silver glittery alphabet stickers to monogram our tree.
No sewing involved and if I do say so myself it turned out pretty darn cute!