I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Jerk Fish on Coconut Rice and Mango Avocado Salsa

I saw this recipe over at Closet Cooking and I had to try it.  My mouth was watering as I took in the wonderful citrusy and spicy aroma causing my stomach grumble.  My tummy couldn't wait to be appeased with some of this deliciousness. 

I am also glad that my 7 and 4 year old loved it!  I did leave out the spicy ingredients for their sake though I prefer it to be spicy.
Closet Cooking used pineapple banana salsa but I went with Mango Avocado Salsa.

Ingredients
1 pound white fish fillets   I used Tilapia
1 batch jerk marinade recipe below
1 cup jasmine rice
1 cup coconut milk, unsweetened
1 cup water
1 batch mango avocado salsa here

Directions
1.Marinate the fish fillets for at least two hours in a ziplock bag in the fridge.  I didn't have 2 hours so I just marinated it for 30min.
2.Bring the rice, coconut milk and water to a boil, reduce the temperature to medium low, cover and let simmer until the rice is tender and the liquid has been absorbed, about 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.
3.Meanwhile, place the fish in a baking dish and bake in a preheated 350F oven until cooked, about 15-20 minutes.
4.Serve the jerk fish on the coconut rice and top with the mango avocado salsa.

Jerk Marinade  also from Closet Cooking
Ingredients:
1 scotch bonnet or habanero pepper or 3 jalapeno peppers (seeded and chopped)
2 cloves garlic (chopped)
2 green onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon thyme (chopped)
1 tablespoon allspice
3/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon dark rum
1/2 orange (juice and zest)
1 lime (juice and zest)
Directions:

1. Puree everything.
I didn't have the rum so I left this out and I used apple cider vinegar instead of white vinegar. I left out the peppers. I know I was sad to leave this out but when your cooking with kids you tweak things.  I did sprinkle crushed red pepper on my plate but its not the same.

3 comments:

  1. This has some amazing flavors! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. 3 Studies SHOW How Coconut Oil Kills Waist Fat.

    The meaning of this is that you literally burn fat by consuming coconut fat (including coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 studies from large medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world around!

    ReplyDelete