I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

All out of Hidden Valley Ranch Packets

Chipotle Ranch Dressing

For us running to the store and picking up certain items like Hidden Valley Ranch packets is not possible unless we plan on boarding a plane to the U.S.  I used to hate making things from scratch but the more I do out of necessity the more I realize how much I enjoy it. Some weird sense of accomplishment. It is also more tasty and not to mention healthier with out all those preservatives added.  So whether your in a bind like me and can't run out to the store or your just in the mood to try something new here is an easy recipe.

I also learned in making this recipe that you can substitute sour cream for buttermilk.  A lot of ranch recipes called for buttermilk which once again we can't get in this country so after researching you can substitute for this recipe.


Easy Ranch Dressing Recipe
lowfat recipe or use regular ingredients for a full fat dressing :)
1/2 cp plain lowfat yogurt or regular
1/3 cp sour cream
3 tblspns of lowfat mayo or regular
1/2 tb white vinegar
1/2tb Worcestershire Sauce
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp Onion powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2tsp  dill
1/2 tsp basil
salt and pepper to taste

In a bowl combine all ingredients and chill before serving.


I can't wait to try this recipe below. Picture and chipotle ranch recipe are from pinchmysalt.com.
Chipotle Ranch Dressing

1 chipotle chile from a can of chipotle chiles in adobo sauce
2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/2 cup buttermilk
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano leaves, crumbled
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, or to taste

Place all ingredients in a blender; cover then blend until smooth. Use immediately or refrigerate in a covered container. Dressing may be kept, refrigerated, for up to one week.

9 comments:

  1. Looks like it would be yummy! We r huge ranch fans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg i gotta try recipe...
    I'm inviting you to add this to our linking party at
    http://www.passionatelyartistic.com/2011/07/american-pickers-with-linking-party.html
    Have a great weekend,
    Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm just starting to try to make my own dressings instead of using all the store bought stuff so that I can cut back on my sugar and sodium. This ranch dressing sounds so good! I host a recipe swap every week and I'd love for you to come by and show off a recipe or two. Have a blessed day :)
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those look really yummy! I learned from ourbestbites.com that you can also add 2 TBSP of vinegar to a cup of milk and let it sit for 10 min. to make your own buttermilk. You have such a great site! I am a new follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks awesome! Can't wait to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! We love ranch dressing but I can't keep eating it- it is so fatty. Now I can make this dressing and control the ingredients! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Katie, I will stop by thanks. Stephanie, I also have heard that and have tried it with other recipes. So glad to have you following! Kate, yes I also loved that aspect of it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. i love homemade dressing =)

    Come link this up at my woot woot wednesdays!
    www.tootsiewootsieboutique.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't wait to try the chipotle ranch dressing. I have been making all my own dressings for about a year now. It is so much better for you, and it tastes better too! I also make my own buttermilk. I add 1 tablespoon of lemon juice to 1 cup of regular milk. Let is sit for 5 minutes, and you have buttermilk. I'll be making this dressing this weekend. I found you on Foodie Friday at Little Brick Ranch. Thanks

    ReplyDelete