I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Sunday, July 24, 2011

Gorgonzola, Pear, Chicken & Caramelized Walnut Salad


I had this salad at one of those cute little cafe shops in a small town in the Georgian Mountains.  It was absolutely delish!

So of course the first thing that comes to my mind while eating this is how can I remake it at home.
Gorgonzola, Pear, Chicken and Walnut Salad
2 Bags Baby Mixed Greens
Chicken Breasts, Chopped Into Pieces
2 Cups Candied Walnuts (See Recipe Below)
2 Large Ripe Pears or you can caramelize them see recipe below
4 Ounces Gorgonzola Cheese
3 tbsp chopped red onions
1/3 cp chopped carrots
1/3 cp chopped tomatoes

1. Mix all the veggies in a bowl.
2. Top with chicken and then Walnuts and Pears and sprinkle with cheese.

Caramelized Walnuts
2 Cups Whole Walnuts
1/2 Cup Sugar
Place walnut and sugar in skillet and until sugar dissolves and coats all of the walnuts.  Remove from heat and pour on a plate to cool.
Dressing:  I used my Ranch dressing recipe Here but here is a simple not so strong dressing
1/4 Cup White Balsamic Vinegar

1/2 Teaspoon Salt
1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Black Pepper
3/4 Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil

Mix all together and stir until it's thoroughly mixed.

 I am also going to toss cranberries in my salad next time with the fresh pears. I saw one recipe that caramelize the pears which I think I am going to try that next time and leave out the cranberries.  Oh so many options of deliciousness.
Caramelized Pears
1 tbspn of butter
2 Pears wedged

Put butter and pears in a skillet and cook for about 8 minutes until they are golden brown and caramelized.

Picture from Italian Forever

10 comments:

  1. Yum!! Looks sooo good...I just had to pin it! I will be making this soon! Thanks so much for sharing!
    Jade C. @ Sweet Baby {Mason} James

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delish! I make a pear, Gorgonzola and walnut pizza. The combo is fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
    Jen
    Scissors & Spatulas

    ReplyDelete
  3. jennifer that sounds yummy too. i will have to dabble with that.

    jade, yay for sharing the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks amazing! I love trying new salad recipes, pinned this, and cannot wait to try it. I hope you will share this recipe at my HomeMade Monday Blog Party next week at HomeSavvyAtoZ.com. I am your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Erin, awesome! I would love to link up if I can remember that far in advance. I am not as organized as all of these wonderful blogging women.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So yummy! I'm trying this one!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OMGosh, this sounds so good! I'll be making this soon. I'm a new follower & can't wait to spend a bit of time snooping around your blog. A follow back would be great, but not mandatory!
    :) CAS

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great combination of flavors in this salad! Yum! I'll be pinning this for later. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I use to make a salad similiar to this and just love the blend of taste. Yours looks just as yummy:) Reminded me I need to make mine soon!

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks ladies. cas, glad your following. i will have to hop over to yours soon.

    ReplyDelete