I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Sunday, October 16, 2011

Salted Caramel Sweet Square Starbucks Wannabe!

Love at first bite!  While visiting the states this summer my good friend treated me to a little something something from Starbucks. A major treat because yea get this NO STARBUCKS here! I know feel sad for me. My pick was one of their Petites that are outrageoulsy priced but, oh so good.
When I got back home I was determined to figure out how to make these.  I think I have come close.

Salted caramel and chocolate filling with a layer of crisp pretzels and pecans on top of a shortbread crust.
Even though it has a lot of steps it's really easy.

Shortbread
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup sugar
12 tbl or 1.5 sticks of unsalted butter
1.5tsp Vanilla extract
for Caramel:
1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
4 tbl light corn syrup
12 tbl unsalted butter

or I prefer
1cp store bought caramel (the kind for apples)
2-3 tbl of milk or heavy cream
for Chocolate
12 ounces semisweet chocolate
shortening optional

2cp of slightly broken up pieces of pretzels
1 cp of chopped pecans

Yup, there are 5 layers!
1st Layer- Shortbread
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
2. Put the flour and sugar into a bowl and rub in 12 tablespoons of the butter, form a ball.
3. Press shortbread mixture into a 9-inch square pan that has been greased smooth it with hands covered in plastic, otherwise it will constantly stick to your fingers. Poke with a fork and cook for 5 minutes, then lower the oven to 300 degrees, and cook for a further 30-40 minutes until it is pale golden and no longer doughy. This docking, as it’s called, will allow steam to escape during the baking, and keep your shortbread from bubbling up in patches. Let it cool in the pan.
2nd Layer- Pecans
 Put chopped pecans evenly over shortbread
3rd Layer -Caramel
In a small sauce pan, melt the remaining butter (12 tablespoons) for 2-3 minutes, then add the condensed milk and syrup. Whisk the mixture well until the butter is thoroughly incorporated.
Be careful to stir often. It’s ready when it’s thickened and turned a light golden brown. Pour this molten toffee evenly over the cooled shortbread and leave it to set.

If your using the store bought caramel (my preference) over low heat put caramel and milk in a saucepan and mix until smooth; constantly stirring. If its still too thick add the 3rd tbl of milk. Pour over shortbread and leave it to set.
4th Layer-Pretzels
Once caramel has cooled down put slightly broken up pieces of pretzels all over the top.
5th Layer- Chocolate
Break the chocolate into pieces and melt it in a bowl in the microwave.  Pour and spread it over the caramel mixture.





18 comments:

  1. I have got to make these. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look divinely delicious! Just bookmarked them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful! Visiting from Not Just A Housewife:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, these sound and look amazing! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  5. these look so yummy I love goodies like this come see me at http://shopannies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow they sound incredible. I bet they taste great too, thanks for sharing the receipe
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUMMY! Have had theses at Starbucks and I LOVE them! Thanks for sharing! Pinning for later!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks so much for perfecting the recipe for us! They look so yummy! I saw your post over at "The Shabby Nest" link party.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mmmm, these look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, yummmmmm! I love Starbucks salted caramel and chocolate goodies! Would you share this recipe here?

    http://oneartmama.blogspot.com/2011/10/csh-thursday-link-party.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! These sound amazing! Pinning straight away!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I must have these for dessert tonight! Darn...lols I hope you will link up with me here:
    http://www.thegingerbreadblog.com/2011/10/sweet-saturday-v10.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Let me know if you all try it. I would love to hear if you you tried the Sweet Condensed version or the caramel version.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Geez these look good! Thanks for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday! Hope to see you again this week!
    -Trish @ Mom On Timeout
    http://www.MomOnTimeout.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. My wife made this with white chocolate and carob and the top turned out really hard. Any ideas? It really is a nice square and she would make it again.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Clayton, I have never used Carob so I am not sure about the consistency of it. Did she just not want to use Milk Chocolate is that why she used Carob?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Starbucks' salted caramel sweet square is sheer indulgence. The perfect blend of sweet and salty, it's a heavenly treat for the taste buds. Best 10 Online Paired with a coffee, it's a delectable escape into world.

    ReplyDelete