This was my first time making Bechamel pronounced (bejamel) it's french and basically a white sauce. I found this recipe over at Busy as a Bee in Paris (I adapted it) and had to try it since I am on a mission to find an easy & yummy macaroni cheese recipe. I think I found it! I blogged about another recipe I tried Stove-Top Macaroni and that one was good but I think this one tops it.
Macaroni with Bechamel Cheese Sauce
1 bag of Macaroni Pasta cooked
5 tablespoons butter
4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
4 cups milk
2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
3/4 cp of shredded mozzarella or whatever other favorite cheese you may have
1/2 cp of shredded cheddar or whatever other fav cheese you may have
pepper to taste
1. In a large pot, heat the butter over medium-low heat until melted. Add the flour and stir until smooth. Over medium heat, cook until the mixture turns a light, golden sandy color, about 6 to 7 minutes.
This is the Roux.
2. Meanwhile, heat the milk in a separate pan until just about to boil. Add the hot milk to the butter mixture 1 cup at a time, whisking continuously until very smooth. Bring to a boil. Cook 10 minutes, stirring constantly, then add mozzarella and cheddar and stir until it's completely smooth. Add the pasta and let it sit on the stove-top for 10 min on very low heat just until it's not soupy anymore.
3. Remove from heat. Season with salt and nutmeg.
OR for baking
4. Put cooked Pasta in a casserole dish and pour Bechamel Sauce over it and sprinkle the rest of the cheese all on top. Season with salt and nutmeg.
5. Bake at 375 until cheese has melted and it's a little crunchy about 10min.
Picture from My Recipes
I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.