I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Caramel Pumpkin Butter

It was really hard to find a recipe that made the pumpkin puree from scratch. Not because I am a die hard make from scratch person but because we can't get canned pumpkin here.  I know so sad at this time of the year.  Since moving here 3yrs ago I decided my motto is "if I can't buy it here I will find a way to make it."  I even made Girl Scout Thin Mint Cookies recipe here .


Pumpkin Puree from Scratch  It's really easy so don't feel intimidated by the ginormous pumpkin on your counter.  You can do it!
1. Cut in half or fours and clean out guts.

2. Cut the pumpkin into chunks

3. Cook using one of the following ways:
Steam: Put water in saucepan just below the vegetable steamer basket. Place pumpkin cubes on veggie steamer. Steam for 10-15min. Just until tender.  Remove the skin.
Roasting: Line a sheet pan with foil and place pumpkin chunks on it.  Set oven at 400 ° oven
Roasted them until they were fork tender about 45-60min.  Remove the skin.
 
4.  Puree in blender until smooth!


Pumpkin Butter
Ingredients:
1 (28-oz.) can pumpkin puree
3/4 cup apple juice
2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp cloves
2 tspcinnamon
1 tsp nutmeg
½ tsp ground allspice
1cp granulated sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
1/2 cp caramel I bought mine but you can make it from Kraft Caramels (see below)




Directions:
1) Combine all ingredients in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring often, for 30 minutes, or until mixture thickens. I cook mine until a spoon pulled through middle of mixture leaves a trail that does not close in upon itself. If you plan to use immediately, let cool to room temperature. Pack into storage containers and refrigerate for up to a month. Pumpkin butter can also be frozen for up to 6 months. Yield: 3 cups.

Quick Caramel
Kraft Caramel candy
Milk
butter (optional)
Place caramel candy in a small sauce pan and depending how thick you want it just add milk. Start off with 3 tbl of milk and keep adding if you don't want it so thick. Stir over low heat until it melts.  You can add a tbl spn of butter to keep it from scorching.



It taste fabulous over chocolate icecream or on toast! 
Add more caramel if you want it sweeter.

Picture above from Closet Cooking

9 comments:

  1. in the ingredients list, is that 1 cup of granulated sugar?

    this looks SUPER yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes, thanks for catching that and mentioning it! just fixed it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i was waiting to make sure before i made this. i'm thinking i'm going to make this for our fall party favors. put it in some cute jars and give to guests. can't wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just added this to my pinterest "Favorite Recipe" Board!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds amazing! How frustrating you can’t find pumpkin puree where you are! Though, it does sound pretty simple. Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds great, can't wait to try it out. I featured it at So Creative.
    http://soverycreative.blogspot.com/2011/09/carmel-pumpkin-butter.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. YUM! I am definitely going to make this. Did you use caramel sauce - the kind that goes on ice cream? I make my own pumpkin puree and have a bunch in the freezer - this will be perfect for gifts! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heather thanks for the flattering feature.

    Remembrances, you should be able to use that caramel sauce or the kind you use for dipping apples. Here in this country they sell them in little tubs kind of like the apple dipping caramel sauce you would buy in the U.S. Or you can just buy some Kraft caramel candy and depending how thick you want it just add milk in a small sauce pan over low heat until it melts.

    ReplyDelete