I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Sunday, September 18, 2011

Fire Roasted Chicken Tortilla Soup


1 onion, chopped
Ingredients:
1 garlic clove minced
2 cans of cream of corn
1 can of diced tomato
1 can of hominy
1 can of green chiles
1 can of black beans
1/4cp of cilantro
2 tbl corn meal
3cps of cubed cooked chicken
or 2cps of shredded chicken recipe here
2cps of chicken broth
Spices:
2tsp chili powder
1 tsp dried oregano
2tsp cumin
Salt to taste


For Roasting:
2 tomatoes
1 red bell pepper
2 garlic
Toppings:
tortilla chips
avocado
Monterrey Jack cheese
green onions
cilantro

Directions
Fire Roast:
1. Place tomatoes, whole garlic cloves and red bell over fire on a comal/griddle.
2. Flip til all sides are roasted brownish. Once it's done peel off the brownish part off.
2. Puree just until its chunky. You may need to add a little bit of water if using a blender.

Soup:
1. In a pot heat oil and add, onions, the 1 minced garlic clove until soft. Stir in spices chili powder, oregano, cumin. 
2. Add Chicken broth and can of tomatoes, cream of corn, puree, hominy, cornmeal, beans, cilantro and chicken. Simmer for 20min
3. Top each bowl with tortilla chips, avocado slices, cheese, cilantro and green onions.

I have seen many recipes that leave the fire roasting step out but that is where the authentic Mexican flavor comes in so if possible don't skip it.  The aroma that the simmering of vegetables in their skin brings out makes my stomach growl and it brings back memories of being in my moms kitchen. Its delicioso!

Picture from Cave Cibum.

No comments:

Post a Comment