I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Girl Scout Chocolate Thin Mint Cookies wanna be

I saw this post while perusing Food Gawker and I had to click and you know once you look at all the pictures your sucked into craving it and then you just HAVE to make it. So I did. I think the thinner the cookie the more it taste like a thin mint.  I haven't had a Girl Scout thin mint in a while but in my opinion they were good. I do want to try another recipe and instead of using a cookie cutter (it was more time consuming) I would just roll up the dough in a roll, freeze it and thinly slice it.

Chocolate Thin Mint Cookies
from Handle the Heat
Chocolate Wafers:


· 8 ounces butter, room temperature

· 1 cup powdered sugar

· 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

· 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder

· 3/4 teaspoon salt

· 1 1/2 cups cake flour (all-purpose would work just fine)

· Chocolate Peppermint Coating:

· 1 package mint dark chocolate candy melts
-or-

· 1 pound good quality semi-sweet chocolate, chopped

· peppermint extract to taste (about 1 teaspoon)

Cookie dough: In a mixer cream the butter until it is light and fluffy. Add the powdered sugar and continue to cream, scraping the sides of the bowl a couple times if necessary. Stir in the vanilla extract, salt, and cocoa powder. Mix until the cocoa powder is integrated and the batter is smooth and creamy, resembling a thick frosting. Add the flour and mix just until the batter is no longer dusty looking but still a bit crumbly. Turn the dough out onto a clean counter, gather it into a ball, and knead it together into a nice, smooth mass. Divide the dough in 2, flatten into disks, and wrap in plastic wrap. Chill for 15 minutes.
Rollout and bake: Preheat oven to 350. Roll dough out really thin, about 1/8-inch. These are called thin mints after all. You can either roll it out between two sheets of plastic, or dust your counter and rolling pin with a bit of flour and do it that way. If the dough is too firm to roll you can microwave it for 5 seconds. Cut out cookies and bake for 10 minutes. Remove the cookies from the oven and allow them to cool completely on a wire rack.
Make the peppermint coating: Meanwhile, prepare your chocolate coating. Using a double boiler, slowly melt the chocolate, stirring occasionally until it is glossy and smooth. You can add 1 tablespoon of shortening if your chocolate is too thick. Alternatively, use a microwave in short 15-20 second bursts to melt the chocolate. Stir in the peppermint extract if you don’t have the mint candy melts.
Finishing the cookies: Using a fork gently drop the cookies one at a time into the chocolate coating. Flip to coat all sides. Lift the cookie out of the chocolate with the fork and bang the fork on the side of the pan to drain any extra chocolate off the cookie. You are after a thin, even coating of chocolate. Place on a parchment lined baking sheet, and repeat for the rest of the cookies. Place the cookies in the refrigerator or freezer to set.

9 comments:

  1. These look exactly like thin mints! My daughter is a Girl Scout so we've had many pass through our house :) They're great crumbled up and blended into a milkshake too! Maybe another way to enjoy them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. These looks so yummy! Thank you for sharing this awesome recipe at my link party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. these look great! just like the real thing. the recipe doesn't seem too hard either. thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love thin mints but never know anyone selling - nice to have a recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. looks wonderful, thank you for sharing. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look so good! With Girl Scout cookies costing so much these days, making your own is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete