I love to have fun with paper, food, paint, music and events and just being creative in all of it. However, I don't feel the need to be a perfectionist nor a professional in any of my creations. I wish I could have a blog JUST about the art of cooking, photography, sewing, art, mothering, jewelry making, card making, dancing, gardening, deep spiritual thoughts, decorating, poetry, party planning, baking.... and the list goes on but I can't. I don't think I was created with the ability to focus on one task. I like all of these hobbies layed out before me and the freedom to pick whatever I choose depending on the mood or time I have.

Thursday, October 6, 2011

I conquered my fear of FANCY Schmancy cookies using Royal icing


The owls eyes are marshmallows that have been sliced, brown royal icing, the nose is a twizzler that what cut in a triangle shape and the tie is turqoise icing gel & sprinkles. I used a circle cookie cutter and a knife to cut and shape the top part for the ears.  As you can see still a work in progress mastering the filling and outlinine of the icing.

I needed lots of tutorials and pictures to motivate me to make Royal Icing cookies.  Just as I imagined it was time consuming but I had a hoot making them. I am sure it will get easier with practice.

The Browneyed Baker blog had a great little tutorial and I used the recipe she had on her blog. The recipes for Royal Icing pretty much are all the same with very little differing from one to another.

I still need to work on my straight lines.

Royal Icing:
4 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons meringue powder
6 tablespoons water

Mix all ingredients on low speed for 7-10 minutes or until the icing loses its shine. Add more water by the teaspoon if it appears too stiff. At this stage you want to be able to pipe it easily:

Go here for her step by step instructions with pictures on how to decorate with Royal Icing. 
Adorable! My son took a bite of the top owl when I wasn't looking, sneaky, sneaky.  I put them in little bags for some of my sons teachers with a note that said "Guess Whoo, Whoo has a birthday!"

The sugar cookie recipe I used is a Cream Cheese Sugar Cookie here


3 comments:

  1. Those owls are too cute!! Great job. Visiting from My Simple Home Life. Toodles, Kathryn http://thededicatedhouse.blogspot.com/2011/10/chest.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks Kathyrn it was definitely a hoot making these, lol. I need to get off my computer b/4 I get cheesier.

    ReplyDelete